Home remedies of bacterial vaginosis are easy and one gets relieved from the disorder. If you notice the symptoms at the very initial stages, it becomes easier to get rid of the disorder. Bacterial vaginosis is the result of overgrowth or imbalance of the bacteria in the vagina. It is not a danger disease but disturbs any woman. In case of unusual discharge a woman may be culprit of diseases like Chlamydia and Gonorrhea.
Survey says that bacterial vaginosis is found in 16% of pregnant women and 60% of women who are victim of sexually transmitted disease. Home remedies are highly effective to treat bacterial vaginosis.
Symptoms of Bacterial Vaginosis
In many cases, no remarkable symptoms are observed. In some cases the symptoms observed such as
- Unusual vaginal discharge
- Foul odor
- Thin and whitish grey discharge
- Noticeable discharge after intercourse
Causes of Bacterial Vaginosis
The hydrogen peroxide-producing bacteria reduce in number. They are responsible to produce lactobacilli in the vagina. At the same time the anaerobic bacteria, which can grow in absence of oxygen increase in number. So the treatment is not so easy and elimination of any one type of bacteria does not serve the purpose.
How To Treat BV Over The Counter
- Yogurt: Eat the yogurt or apply it to vagina. It maintains the acidic balance in the vagina.
- Acidophilus powder or capsules: You can take the acidophilus powder or capsules available, orally.
- Vaginal inserts: Use pads or tampons which are soaked in yogurt to improve the vaginal condition.
- Pulsatilla and Sepia: Pulsatilla and Sepia are the homoeopathic medicines which are highly effective in case of bacterial vaginosis. Consult the homoeopath for the dosage and treatment plan.
- Beta-dine and gentian violet: Beta-dine is an antiseptic iodine solution, which is highly effective on bacterial vaginosis. Pregnant women are the exception. Gentian violet possesses the antifungal properties, which is highly effective for bacterial vaginosis.
- Boric acid douche: It kills the bacteria present in the vagina and restricts their growth further. The acid alkaline balance is maintained with this treatment.
- Vinegar douche: Add one tablespoon of vinegar in 1/4 cup of warm water. It maintains acid alkalinity balance in the vagina.
- Nourishing supplements: The antioxidants present in various food items are effective in bacterial vaginosis. Proper intakes of food stuff as well as supplements that contain vitamin A, B complex, C, D and E are recommended.
- Avoid food items such as, cheese, alcohol, chocolate, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, fruits and fermented foods as the yeast organisms grow on that.
- Warm bath: Simply have a warm water bath. It relaxes the genital tissues from irritation.
- Cold Compresses: If you are suffering from swelling and itching, application of cold compress tightens the blood vessels and relieves from redness and swelling.
- Apple cider vinegar: Mix 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar in warm water and take the steam of it to your vagina. It helps to maintain the acid balance, thereby restricts the bacterial growth.
- Iodine douche: Mix three spoons of povidone-iodine in approximately 250 ml. warm water and douche the vagina with it. Follow this at least for 8 to 10 days, until the irritation due to itching is completely eliminated.
Home remedies for bv are many. Start following the remedies at the early detection stages, so that it gets cured at the earliest. In some cases the disorder may occur repetitively over the period of time. In such cases doctor’s advice, proper medication along with the home remedies is recommended.