Pebble-like deposits in the gallbladder are called gallstones. The sizes of these hard stones vary from a grain of sand to that of golf ball. To be more precise, these stones are actually bile that is stored in the gallbladder and are used up by the liver when necessary. This bile helps to digest the fat. However, the bile with time can develop into some small pebbles which become hard enough in the gallbladder. Home remedies for gallstones can be an answer to people who are looking for some ways and means to reduce the chances of getting it and also to lessen the symptoms.
There are basically two types of gallstones, one is the pigment stone and the other is the cholesterol stones. People are liable to get cholesterol stones than pigment stones. In fact about 80% of the cholesterol stones can be found in the body. The stones made of the excess bile are called pigment stones. Women are more prone to this condition!
Causes for Gallstones:
The gallbladder contains the bile which is prepared in the liver and stored there. This contains water, fats, bile salts, proteins, cholesterol and bilirium. The stones develop when the bile contains some extra amount of cholesterol, bile salts and bilirium.
- The failure to empty the bile by the gallbladder is a major cause of gallstones. These likely to happen more in pregnant women
- Medical conditions for instances hemolytic anemia, sickle cell anemia can cause the liver to produce excess of bilirubin and result in gallstones
- Biliary tract infections of pigmented stones and liver cirrhosis
- Rapid weight loss in situations such as while a low calorie diet
- Bone marrow or any other organ transplant
- Excess estrogen
- Receiving nutrition through a vein for quite some time which is also known as intravenous feedings
Symptoms for Gallstones:
Symptoms for gallstones may not be that prominent. Nonetheless, these can be discovered with the help of x-rays, abdominal surgery and other medical procedure. If there is a large stone that blocks the cystic duct or the bile duct can cause a cramping pain which can be felt in the middle to the right of the upper abdomen. A common term for this is biliary colic. The pain vanishes when the stone passes into the first area of the small intestines. Other common symptoms for gallstones are listed below:
- Yellow skin and you may also notice whites in the eyes
- A feeling of fullness in the abdomen
- Clay-colored stools
- Vomiting and nausea
These are common with people that have gallbladder cancer.
Some of the home based and natural methods to reduce the pain and further complications are listed below:
- There is particular diet you need to follow if you suffer from the problem. Go for a high fiber low fat diet. These reduce the amount of cholesterol from going into the gallbladder. Apart from this, it will relieve you from constipation and other complications of the gallbladder stones.
- And yes one of the most important things you can do and is by far the best way to treat the condition is to drink plenty of water. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water to overall benefit your health.
- Drinking juices of fresh vegetables and fruits works well to clean away the gallbladder. Have the juice two times a day for some really good and effective results.
- Yogurt and cottage cheese are beneficial for gallbladder stones. You can further add some olive oil to the mixture and make it much better heath wise.
- Pears are effective for gallbladder stones. You can either drink the juice in empty stomach or just eat a pear to clean away the gallbladder.
Herbal based remedies that can be prepared at home helps to keep your body relaxed and calm that will relieve you from the pain as well. At times the gall bladder can swell up that may arise because of the presence of stones. In such a case, use herbs to avoid swelling and speed up the healing process.
- Herbs work well to reduce the symptoms of the gallbladder stones. You can try out milk thistle leaves and crush them and add them in tea. This is one of the popular methods in the treatment of gallbladder stones.
- Another method to enhance the effect of milk thistle leaves is by adding another herb called the dandelion. Add them in your regular tea or simply have them raw or steamed. This reduces the chances of further complications by gallstones.
- Oregon grape too helps in the treatment of the condition. This improves the blood circulation and proper and sufficient production of bile. You can combine this with other herbs such as milk thistle and dandelion. This can be an effective herbal home remedies for gallstones.
- Another simple and effective method to control the growth of gallstones is to have a cup of chamomile tea.
Preventive measures and tips for gallstones:
- Reduce or completely stop the intake of fats, red meats or meats that contain lots of fats and are harder to digest. Fibers are effective as these are easily digestible.
- To keep the bowel movements smooth and regular, indulge yourself in moderate exercises daily.
- Look for natural way to reduce your weight and do not diet! Instead Yogurt ad go for frequent meals at regular intervals.
To conclude, the above mentioned home remedies for gallstones, the best thing you can do is to follow a healthy lifestyle which includes a balanced-diet and regular exercises.