A bladder infection also known as cystitis occurs when bacteria enter the urinary tract through urethra. Urethra is a tube that allows urine to pas through the body. The bacteria attach with the bladder wall and start to grow in numbers. There are many types of cystitis such as Bacterial cystitis, Interstitial Cystitis and Hemorrhagic Cystitis. A bladder infection causes pain and irritation all across the body. Treating this type of urinary infection is vital to the body because once the infection spreads to the kidneys, severe complications may occur.
Causes of bladder infections are as follows:
- Urethra or kidney infection: An infection in the kidneys or urethra may result into cystitis. Infections in the prostate gland or vagina may also result in a bladder infection.
- Kidney Stones: Apart from infection in the kidneys, stones in the kidneys can cause irritation or inflammation leading to as bladder infection.
- Urine Retention: If you wait long for urinating you could cause inflammation or irritation.
- Constipation: Harsh bouts of constipation may result in a bladder infection.
- Cancer-related: An inflammation in the bladder may occur when one is undergoing treatments of cancer such as radiation or chemotherapy.
Some of the risk factors of bladder infections include:
- Sexual intercourse:Women who engage in sex with multiple partners increase the chance of bladder infections. This is because the infection causing bacteria is constantly being pushed further up the urethra.
- Pregnancy:Hormonal changes during pregnancy period can cause bladder infections.
- Immune system changes:In the presence of diabetes or cancer there is an increased risk of bladder infections.
Symptoms of bladder infection:
Bladder infections can affect at any age of an individual.
- New patterns of bed-wetting in your child
- Urination problems: It brings a strong urge of frequent urination but produces a small amount of urine.
- Blood in urine: Sometimes blood traces appear in urine. This symptom is known as hematuria.
- Changes in urine appearance: Urine may appear cloudy with strong odor.
- Stomach pressure: You may experience a pressure feeling in the lower abdomen.
- Fever: when suffering from bladder infection you may have mild fever.
Home remedies for bladder infections are as follows:
- Cucumber juice is very effective in treating bladder infections. In 1 cup of cucumber juice, mix 1tablespoon of fresh lime juice and 1 teaspoon of honey. Drink it 3 times per day. This is one of the efficient home remedies for bladder infections.
- Cranberry also works wonder in the treatment of bladder infections naturally. You can take cranberry juice, pill or extract to flush out the bacteria responsible for bladder infection. This is also one of the best-known home remedies for bladder infections.
- Combine fresh juice from drumstick flowers with 1/2 a glass of coconut water. Drink this 2 times per day. Drumstick flowers form one of the successful home remedies for bladder infections.
- Radish leaves are very helpful in eliminating bladder infections. Drink 1 cup of radish leaf juice for 2 weeks. This is one of the simplest home remedies for bladder infections.
- Spinach is very effective in curing bladder infections. Combine equal quantity of fresh spinach juice with coconut water. It contains potassium and nitrates that create a safe and effective diuretic. This is one of the efficient home remedies for bladder infections.
- Hot water is helpful in treating bladder infections. Immerse your pelvis in hot water to relieve the pain associated with bladder infections. This is also one of the beneficial home remedies for bladder infections.
- Apply cold compress to the stomach to relieve the congestion in the pelvic area. It will also increase the healing of the skin. While using this home remedy for bladder infection do not over freeze the skin.
- Lemon is very useful in treating bladder infections. In 180 ml of boiling water add a teaspoon of lemon juice. Let the mixture cool. Sip 60 ml of the decoction every 2 hours starting from 8 am to the end of noon. This is one of the positive home remedies for bladder infections that will not only ease the burning sensation but also stop the bleeding connected with cystitis.
- Sandalwood oil is a natural remedy for bladder infections. During the onset of the infection take 5 drops of the oil and work your way up to 10 to 30 drops.
- Gently massage the pressure points on the hands and the feet to help relieve the congestion in the bladder areas. Then drink lots of water to flush out the toxins from the system. You can refer a book or chart form internet or book store that shows the reflexology pressure points on the palms of hand and soles of feet. This is also one of the productive home remedies for bladder infections.
Tips to prevent bladder infection:
- Drink lots of fluids and beverages to prevent bladder infections.
- Do not hold urine. Whenever you feel to relieve yourself listen to your body. Do not allow bacteria to sit too long in your bladder.
- Follow healthy hygiene habits. Wipe from front to the back to avoid spreading of bacteria after a bowel movement. This will prevent infections in the urethra.
- Take showers frequently if you have a tendency to develop infections.
- Develop the habit of gently washing your anus and the vagina. Avoid using harsh bathing habits and strong soaps to avoid developing an infection. Delicate skin is more prone to spread of infections.
Try this home remedies for bladder infections to get rid of the problem naturally. Also follow the tips to prevent getting the infection.